At the end of my studying session on Sunday, I perused through the magazine section and came home with three reasonably priced for all of the recipe suggestions. I was inspired by a salad recipe I found in this month's Martha Stewart Living.
|Picture from Martha Stewart (dot) com|
With only slight variations, I made a new salad to accompany a different version of a go-to meal for me. You can read one way I've made it before here.
Soft Shell Tacos
1. Dice 2 small-medium sized onions and 1 large green bell pepper and add them to a pan with olive oil
2. Rinse 1 can of black beans then add with a pinch of chili powder and cumin.
3. Squeeze one fresh lime
4. Slice 1 avocado, set aside for serving
5. In a separate pan on medium heat, spray so tortilla doesn't stick, add a sprinkle of cheese, about a 1/3 C or so. (I use the microwave when I'm in a serious hurry or if it's way too hot out to use the stove for one more thing, but I prefer stove-top because the tortillas don't get mushy, they get crisp).
6. Place crisp tortilla with melted cheese on plate. Place slice of avocado, then add about a Tbsp + of beans and veggies. Squeeze extra lime juice if you so desire!
Watermelon and Tomato Salad (inspired by M.S.)
1. Wash, then peel 1 large cucumber. Cut in half, then slice each half in half cutting the whole 'cuke into half moons.
2. Wash, slice in half cherry tomatoes, or dice heirlooms.
3. Depending on the size of the watermelon, if it's whole or you bought it sliced, dice the watermelon.
4. Add either fresh mozzarella (feta or goat cheese)
5. Fresh basil and drizzle with basil oil, or vinaigrette. Toss then serve!
This was a quick and healthy meal and I was surprised at how well the different flavors and textures in the salad came together.
Try the salad and let me know what you think! Or send me a recipe you think I should try! Or comment me with anything else! You can email me too! email@example.com