Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Beans & Rice, Leftovers Are Nice

A few nights ago, I got home and didn't have much time to make dinner.  One of my all time favorite quick meals to make is Beans and Rice.

1 C of rice in pot with 1 1/2 C water, bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer for 25-30 minutes.
(Do this first because the prep and cook time for the veggies will take the time it takes for rice to cook).
1 can of black beans, rinsed
2 diced small-medium sized green bell pepers
2 diced small-medium sized onions
Olive oil in the pan, then the diced onions and peppers, cook them down a bit, but keep them crunchy. Then add the black beans.  Sprinkle cumin and chili powder, stir. Everything will be ready in 30 minutes!

Mini tortillas sprinkled with shredded cheddar cheese, heated in the microwave, or as I prefer them because then they are crunchy not soggy, cooked in a pan on the stove. Serve with your choice of salsa & sour cream.


What's nice about making the beans and rice are leftovers! Well, I'm a fan of leftovers no matter what the meal is, especially when I can create a different dish with almost all of the same ingredients.  So, the following day I made a breakfast burrito, minus the burrito (since I didn't have any tortillas left). No rice was used either; you can, I just didn't want any. 

2-3 scrambled eggs
add amount of beans and veggies from the night before
sprinkle some shredded cheddar
cook! Total prep/cook time: maybe 10 minutes!
Top with salsa if you'd like.
I made some toast and voila!


No comments:

Post a Comment