Friday, February 4, 2011

The Personal is Political

A writing professor once said that the personal is political and the political is personal.  I don't want to turn this into a political blog, however the personal is political therefore impossible to ignore; globally and locally, so much happened in the last few weeks:

Republicans are trying to redefine rape. I am in COMPLETE disagreement with this. You can sign the petition here and also read more about it at Moveon.org.  There is a great skit on The Daily Show, one of the few reasons I miss having cable, but am happy to be able to access it online.

The nation's largest provider of health care to low-income women (and men) are under attack: Defend Planned Parenthood!

Here are several articles and videos that are interesting about the upheaval in Egypt: Tariq Ramadan & Slavoj Zizek, Egypt Opposition Agree on Constitution Amendment Need, Into Egypt's Uncharted Territory, The Woman Who's Explaining Egypt to the West.



Being a writer and someone who loves reading memoirs, I found this article on the New York Times website really interesting and true. (If you can't enter the site immediately, it's really easy to set up an account).  www.dictionary.com defines memoir as a record of events written by a person having intimate knowledge of them and based on personal observation, an account of one's personal life and experiences, autobiography, the published record of the proceedings of a group or organization, as of a learned society, a biographical sketch.

Too many people are writing blogs (possibly mine included in this group of unwanted news/opinion); although in my defense I'm not just uploading pictures of my kids (which I don't have) or giving every single detail of my life because frankly, it's boring to hear every single detail about famous people, let alone people who aren't!  So the trend of too many blogs, this article hits home for too many memoirs being written and published. What kills me the most are the poorly written memoirs on the shelves today; I won't name names, but there are plenty cluttering bookshelves. Luckily, it doesn't make the great memoirs any less great. I could list a bunch I do recommend, or you can join and follow my profile on goodreads.

In local news, I heard from various friends Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings had an incredible performance at The State Theatre. I wanted to go, but have been overwhelmed with trying to get information and assistance to help with rent.  Unfortunately, apparently receiving less than $200 a week on unemployment means I "make" too much money to receive emergency assistance.  I can't even being to express my disappointment in the system.  I'm looking forward to a trip out of town to see old friends and set new goals for myself at the gym next week. 

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! Here's that article by the woman who wrote "the Personal is Political", Carol Hanisch, who was a feminist and a New Yorker! Who wins? We win!!

    http://www.carolhanisch.org/CHwritings/PIP.html

    ReplyDelete