Monday, January 24, 2011

Once known as the Saddest Day of the Year

Yes, that's right. January 23rd was once known as The Saddest Day of the Year.  And living in upstate New York, on one of the coldest days this year thus far-- accuweather called for a high of nine degrees-- it would be easy to succumb to the melancholy. But after a mere five hours of sleep and being curled up all cozy in flannel sheets, I looked out my window pleasantly surprised to see the sun was shining!

After brushing off the dusting of snow from last night, we set out for a birthday brunch at Northstar to celebrate turning twenty three on the twenty third--a once in a lifetime event. It reminded me of when I turned ten on the tenth and being born a little after ten at night, it seemed like a huge deal to me at the time.  Obviously, the celebrant was a bit more reserved about it all, but I've always been a fan of birthdays.  It's the one day of the year that is special, where people get noted for being alive, for surviving another year of the unexpected trials, misfortunes and curious events that come up; and they do: good, bad, and weird. It's the one day that people get recognized in adulthood; there are no invitations sent out with an RSVP for people who aren't engaged, having a house warming party, or baby shower.  And on one of the coldest days of the year so far, who doesn't want a reason to celebrate life.

Brunch was fun; good food, but certainly not the best. A bit disappointing since every time I've gone there for dinner, it has been quite good.



We both had two scrambled eggs, rye toast, potatoes and grits; I had bacon, he had vegetarian sausage.  Honestly, I know for a fact we can both make a much better breakfast, but it's nice to go out, especially when I haven't gone food shopping for the week because I'm trying to conserve the last of my cash until I find out what kind of assistance I can get. And of course, to start the day off in celebration!

By the time brunch was over, the sun was behind the clouds and it had started snowing again. But good company, good music, and a sweet treat mid-day certainly helped today lose it's title of the saddest day of the year, and just became another winter day and will always be an aquarians birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment