Thursday, June 16, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner

My internal clock is really askew lately and about half of the week I find myself up until three or four am, which only heightens the likelihood that I sleep until noon (I've been needing more sleep than I ever have before).  I also find that not having to rush out the door to get to work on time--I'm still looking for a job since I lost mine--means I don't seem to have as much energy when I wake up and am not very motivated to make anything other than pouring whatever coffee is left in the pot on ice and maybe a bowl of cereal, or I end up waiting to eat lunch.

Aside from this off and on sleep schedule and overall lack of motivation at times, sometimes more often than I care to admit, being obnoxious and has made my life more like it was the last year in college (minus whatever I smoked and drank back then), it has affected the way I've been eating. 

One of my favorite things to make is breakfast: pancakes (from scratch-I found a great recipe online (no eggs & no milk) and I just tweak it here and there and it's delicious), waffles, french toast, muffins, bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, and of course eggs of various varieties.  Ever since I was little I remember mom announcing on certain nights, "breakfast for dinner" and my response always being excited. Then it seemed like we were bending some kind of unwritten rule about when it was acceptable to eat certain foods, and for as long as I can remember I've always enjoyed bending if not breaking the rules entirely. I have carried this tradition into my adult life and last night made one of my many assortments of a breakfast burrito!

Last night's burrito was:
3 eggs with onion, portobello mushrooms and raw spinach wrapped in a Tomato Basil tortilla, with sliced cherry & assorted tomatoes on the side and fresh cantelope and seltzer




I love making these burritos because it's a great way to get a few veggies into one dish and leaves you feeling full but not heavy. Fresh fruit is always delicious, but there is something about eating it during the hotter days where it tastes even sweeter.  What's one of your favorite breakfast dishes to make? Email me or leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment